EGYPT 3

NOVEMBER 2008

SIDE CANYON NARROWS

EGYPT 3

NARROWS SECTION

EGYPT 3 FROM ABOVE

To reach Egypt 3, you will travel down Hole-in-the-Rock Road for 16 miles, and take a left onto Egypt Road. From the Egypt Road turnoff, it is approximately nine miles to Egypt 3. In order to drive all the way to the beginning of the hike, you will need a high-clearance, four-wheel drive vehicle. Driving a Corolla, I was able to make it to within about a mile-and-a-half of Egypt 3 before I came to a hill that was too sandy for my car to make it up. 

About a half-mile before reaching Egypt 3 the road will pass right by the edge of Egypt 2. This is a very deep canyon with shear drop-offs that is intimidating to look down into. Keep going until you reach Egypt 3, which is also a very deep canyon with cliffs on all sides. I wasn't sure how I was supposed to get into it at first, but eventually found a way to scramble down into a side canyon on the far side of Egypt 3 that dropped me into Egypt 3.

Once in Egypt 3, just follow it along. It does require some work to get through. You don't need any equipment, but its not a canyon you just walk down. It is a fun canyon to be in. It eventually narrows down more and more until I had to take my backpack off and scoot down the canyon sideways for hundreds of feet at a time. It finally got too tight for my liking and I took an exit route up a side canyon. From the exit, it was long, lonely walk through some pretty desert back to the beginning. I was the only person here when I visited in November of 2008. It is definitely a canyon I would love to hike again some time, and hopefully make a little further down before turning back.